The Nordic-Baltic Mobility Programme for Public Administration
The Nordic-Baltic Mobility Programme for Public Administration supports the study visits, traineeships and network meetings of officials and other public sector workers, thereby contributing to cooperation between the Nordic countries and Baltic States at the level of ministries, regional offices and local governments. The goal of the programme is to promote the exchange of knowledge on all levels of public administration for the common benefit of Nordic and Baltic countries and thereby contribute to the development of the public administration sector in the entire region. The programme is financed by the Nordic Council of Ministers.
The Chancellor of Justice has got support to the following projects:
- Enhancing the capacity of the Office of the Chancellor of Justice on children’s rights (2012): study visits to Finland and Norway.
- Enhancing the capacity of the Office of the Chancellor of Justice on police law, children's rights and access to public services (2013): study visits to Finland and Iceland.
- Enhancing the capacity of the Office of the Chancellor of Justice on migration detention (2016): study visits to Denmark and Sweden.
- Enhancing the capacity of the Office of the Chancellor of Justice on monitoring psychiatric clinics and dementia care homes (2017): study visits to Finalnd and Norway.
- Enhancing the capacity of the Office of the Chancellor of Justice on monitoring prisons and police detention houses, and performing administrative functions (2019): study visits to Iceland and Sweden.
- Study visits of the Office of the Chancellor of Justice to Denmark and Finland on involuntary psychiatric care (2022).
Enhancing administrative capacity
Priority area “Enhancing administrative capacity” is a measure under the priority of human resource development. The objective of this priority area is to raise strategic planning and managing capabilities of the public sector organisations through developing professional competences of civil servants. The measure helps to strengthen managing capabilities of the state and social coherence.
The Office of the Chancellor of Justice has successfully organised many study visits and trainings for its officials with the help of the measure “Enhancing administrative capacity”.
Program period 2004-2006
Office of the Chancellor of Justice organised three projects with the help of the measure 1.4 "Enhancing Administrative Capacity".
- Trainings about strategic management, motivating and solving conflicts for the management of the Office.
- Study visit to APT (Association for the Prevention of Torture).
- Study visit to the Court of Justice of the European Communities, European Court of Human Rights and to the office of the European Ombudsman.
Program period 2007-2013
2009-2012 the Office of the Chancellor of Justice organised a project to raise the quality of Office’s work with the help of the measure’s “Raising the professionalism and training of officials in state and local government institutions, of employees in agencies and NGOs” sub measure “Internship programme for civil servants”.
1. Study visits to the cooperation institutions of the European Union and member states.
- Parliamentary Ombudsman of Denmark (main aspects of ombudsman’s work and principles of organisation’s work).
- Federal Constitutional Court of Germany (procedural and substantial questions about constitutional review).
- Court of Justice of the European Communities (case law of the Court of Justice in the field of commercial law, principles of the Court’s work).
- Council of State of the Netherlands (law-drafting proceedings, procedural and substantial questions of the work of the highest administrative court).
2. Study visit to Great Britain’s prisons and to prisons’ supervisory agencies. The aim of the project was learn from their experience of executing custodial sentence and protecting fundamental rights and freedoms of persons who are deprived of their liberty.
- Her Majesty´s Prison Wormwood Scrubs
- Her Majesty´s Prison and Young Offenders Institution Isis
- Her Majesty´s Prison and Young Offenders Institution Bronzefield
- Her Majesty´s Inspectorate of Prisons
- Prison Reform Trust
- Penal Reform International
- Independent Monitoring Board
- International Centre for Prison Studies
- Ministry of Justice Human Rights Policy Division
3. Study visit to the office of the Ombudsperson of Children of France and to the Commission de déontologie de la sécurité.
4. Study visit to the Ministry of Climate and Energy of Denmark, its division and to Danish Wind Turbine Secretariat.
5. Study visit to the Danish Parliamentary Ombudsman Office and the Environmental Board of Appeal on spatial planning law.
6. Study visit to the Danish Parliamentary Ombudsman Office and the Danish Court Administration on court reform matters.
- Developing questioning skills which are useful in the work of national preventive mechanism.
- Strategic management, assessing and motivating personnel for the management.
- EU competition law.
- Structure and interpretation methodology of judicial decisions.
- EU state aid regulation.
- EU energy law.
- EU state budget rules.
- Spatial planning law. Danish experience.
Program period 2015-2020
- Enhancing administrative capacity of the Chancellor of Justice for preventing ill-treatment of persons deprived of their liberty (2015)